Goals- Everyone is talking about them, especially this time of the year. We all have them; we have great confidence that we will accomplish them. We come up with cute quotes and slogans; at that moment we know that we CAN and Will achieve them. And then it happens; the inevitable, gut-wrenching, butterfly producing, sweaty palm having- monster appears: FEAR! As many have broken out the word to the acronym: false evidence appearing real.
Where did he come from and why?
Are we afraid that we may actually accomplish the very thing that we were once so excited about?
Are we afraid that we are going to fail and have to go back into our cave with our tail wagging between our legs?
What is the true reason for the fear?
One of Oprah Winfrey’s famous sayings is, “We only act from 2 emotions, Love and Fear.” You are always operating from one or the other.
With Oprah’s famous saying in mind when you are in a fearful time after setting off to achieve your goal; think of love. Look within and find the love that you had for the goal in the beginning. Feel every inch of that love from the inside of your heart to the outside your body. Replace fear with love and keep moving forward to achieve the goal.
I can remember when I decided that I was going to quit my full-time job and become an entrepreneur. I was elated!
I hated the days when I had to walk into the office, knowing that I would turn in my notice in a few short months. I loathed knowing that every moment that I put into the company was a moment that I took away from my own. I loved my co-workers and the company, but I hated that it took me away from working my business full time.
The time had finally come for me to put in my notice; I became paralyzed with fear. My palms were sweaty and it felt like kettlebells were sitting on my chest. What happened to that moment of Love that I thought I would feel when this date came? Fear kicked in and I was planning my failure; What if I quit and my business bombed and I lost all income and I became homeless and I and the kids and husband would have to live in my car? Any and every worse case scenario immediately came to mind. I mustered up enough strength to push those thoughts out of my mind and forged ahead. During a meeting with my manager, I blurted out, “I am leaving”.
As hard as it is to move past those fears, sometimes you just have to blurt it out. Just quit the self-destroying feeling of fear. Every step that you take towards your goal, you shrink more and more of the fear.
Tips to Overcoming Fear:
- Don’t let fear stop you from doing anything. If you are afraid, do it anyway.
- Write a daily gratitude list. Huh? Yep, a daily gratitude list helps us to stay grateful and takes our mind off of worry.
- Set a goal and have an accountability partner, they will talk you off the ledge when fear creeps in.
- Meditation- It helps to keep my mind in the present.
- Brisk Walks- A walk outside of at least 20 minutes is a mood changer- not in a bad way.
- If your fear is debilitating, seek professional help. Fear has 2 best friends and their names are anxiety and panic attacks, they are no fun. You are not alone, talk to a professional to help you get back to your happy place.
Whatever you fear most has no power- it is your fear that has the power. Oprah Winfrey